Objectivism . Anyone? (Migrated) - Monday, March 27, 2006

Now then, I just happened to come across The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I haven’t completed it yet, but just halfway through. There was one concept that catches me of the protagonist Howard Rowark ; he does everything he feels right and gets on. Moreover, the question he asks the Stanton dean pointing to the Parthenon, is killing. I was musing over that question for a long time. I felt it was a very apt question and everybody should think over it. He asks the dean, commenting about some architecture - Gothic or Renaissance I don’t remember, but he questions him - why specialty or perfection has to arise of other’s work alone? Why not the work you and I do be considered special by us? And so goes Roark with cold confidence everywhere; cold enough to invite criticisms more than praise.

Practically Roarky characters are difficult to find. In fact I’ve never met anyone like that. There has been always a tinge of humility when a person talks. But then, I don’t even know it’s good to emulate him and what realization will humans achieve being like him. You can do with “Howard Roark Syndrome” for more of this. But the line of tale is splendid and gives a different feeling while reading. Enough of objectivism now; Coming back to my own life I’ve changed my Active Status message in instant messenger to “Howard Roark” and this stimulated my friend to learn more about Him and we had a good discussion about Him. By the way I have changed my “I am away” message to “With Dominique Francon”;-).

I don’t get much time to read now. For Chennaites, they might empathize with me about the traumas of traveling from West Mambalam to Old Mahabalipuram Road by bus. By the time I reach home, I don’t have any other feeling but to hit the bed and catch some sleep. So, it’s very difficult to make time for reading. I tried doing it in the bus, but somehow I didn�t like it. My favorite reading position is in a sofa with a pillow thrown in. And yes, with a good cuppa. By the way, for the uninitiated, Objectivism is the philosophy of Ayn Rand and has been vividly portrayed in her books like The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged etc. Someone enlighten me on what objectivism is all about .

1 comments:

    On 6:23 AM Subro said...

    Shreyas! is it uuuu! Good to see you in blogspot.