Vintage Beauty

The other day when I was in Chennai, my sister and I were discussing about music in general and Desh raga in particular. That was because I had listened to her doing a good alapana of the raga sometime before. Instantly I loved it - who wouldn't fall for Desh?
That discussion led to a gem of a song "Thunbam Nergayil" set in the raga and composed by Bharathidasan. This is one song that grows on me whenever I listen to it and it's love at first sound. I was hunting for the song online when I stumbled upon two versions of it:

1) Nityashree Mahadevan's - Brims with emotions and gloriously rendered. Absolute stunner.
Click and listen

2) The original from the movie Or Iravu(1951). Singers are : MS Rajeshwari and Verma.
This version is all the more beautiful as the hero seems to teach the heroine sing - he comes up with romantic interjections time and again.
Click and listen

Enjoy.

Peace.

2 comments:

    Indeed!

    Beautiful raga to smile and sing along..

    :)

    On 9:07 PM Vivek Mohan said...

    refreshing i say...desh is besh indeed :)